Evaluation of orthopaedic problems e.g. Trauma, Stress or Occult fracture, Osteomyelitis, Bone tumours, Paget’s disease, Assessment of viability of bone graft.
Urogenital system: Assessment of Renal functions, Congenital anomalies, GFR estimation, Renovascular hypertension. Assessment of Renal Morphology, Scars in Pyelonephritis, Renal Tumours, Vesiscoureteric reflux & Follow up of Renal Transplantation.
Gastroenterolog: Diagnosis of Acute Cholescystitis, Cirrhosis, Buddchiari Syndrome, Nodular hyperplasia, Tumour, Haemangioma, Detection of GI bleeding, Meckel’s Diverticulum. Assessment of GB dysfunction, Atresia and post operative cases. GE reflux assessment.
Endocrinology: Detection of Thyroid and Para Thyroid Disorders, Diagnosis of Pheochromocytomas and other non endocrine tumours, Treatment of Thyrotoxicosis and Thyroid neoplasm
Cardiolog: Myocardial perfusion scan to evaluate chest pain, To diagnose coronary artery disease. Assessment of severity and extent of Ischemia of Cardiac muscle and risk of infarction. Myocardium assessment before and after by pass surgery. Assessment of Myocardial viability in segments with Wall Motion abnormality. Estimation of LV functions and ejection fraction of IHD.
Respiratory system: Diagnosis of Pulmonary Embolism. Lung Cancer and Metastatic disease in the lungs. Cerebrovascular system Assessment of Stroke. To detect Epileptic focus and To evaluate dementia, Amnesia, Alzemier’s disease.
Brain Imaging: For Space Occupying Lesions, Infarct Vascular Malformations etc.
Diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis: Can be done with the help of Gamma Camera Images.
Whole Body Bone Scanning: For staging of Cancer, extent/spread of disease, Treatment of metastatic lesions and follow up of cancer patients.
In this context it would be appropriate to point out that on 16th March, 2002 Dr. B.A. Krishna, Head of the Department of Nuclear Medicine, PD Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai delivered a very illuminating lecture on clinical application of Nuclear Medicine. He opined that e-cam Gamma Camera is essentially a Nuclear Medicine Device designed specially for various imaging and scanning in regard to disorders and alterations pertaining to Breast, Liver, Lung, Brain, Thyroid, Kidney, Bone & other tissues. Such imaging is required in complex cases of cancer and in various conditions in Cardiology, Neurology, Endocrinology etc. It is not only a very reliable and useful diagnostic device required for cancer treatment but also equally useful and beneficial for scanning of wide range of other diseases, affecting different systems in body.
The department is also having the following facilities :-
- Thyroid probe : for thyroid uptake study.
- Stress lab for cardiac study: Thallium -201, 99MTC-Sestamibi and Tetrofosminis used for perfusion scan to assess cardiac status. This is very essential before any type of surgical intervention like bypass surgery or angioplasty etc. is done and for follow-up.
- Radio-immuno assay laboratory: Well equipped lab with well counter is available for various types of invitro studies including tumours markers.
- Radioactive Iodine therapy ward : Two rooms for the purpose have been made as per guidelines of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre for therapy in cancer thyroid and other types of malignancies. This is the first and only centre in Madhya Pradesh and central India for radioactive Iodine therapy facility.
- Gamma Surgical Probe : This is second such instrument available in India. This special device by which one can delineate tumour and lymphnodes through the use of specific radio pharmaceuticals with the help of gamma probe. This helps the surgeons to remove the tumour and lymphnodes with little morbidity used in Breast Conservation Surgery, Skin Cancer, Prostate Cancer etc.
- Research Activities:Student of M.D., M. Sc.(Biotechnology) and M. Pharma have done their thesis and research activities in the department.
According to eminent experts Dr. G.N.Mahapatra, Senior Consultant of Madakini Nuclear Imaging Centre, Mumbai and Dr.A.Malhotra Head of Nuclear Medicine department ,AIIMS New Delhi. the Nuclear Medicine Department of the hospital is one of the best equipped and organized department in the entire country.
All the diagnostic facilities are open to use by non cancer patients. As cancer is a non communicable disease patients suffering from other diseases should not hesitate in availing these facilities. The reports are provided on the same day of study.